[Noisebridge-discuss] access for members and associate members at all hours

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:58:52 UTC 2014

I agree with your overall assessment, Jake. I would also support the
language change in your proposal which more clearly defines the roles and
privileges of our member tiers. I agree that anyone who wants to be able to
work at Noisebridge should be able to do so at any time, and if they are
not a member, then one should sponsor their presence.

I disagree, though, that your proposal will always make it easier for a
member to approach someone and ask them to leave. That is because,
regardless of what they are doing, the people who abuse the space can often
make excuses that are hard to refute:
- "I'm an associate member / full member, my name just isn't on the wiki"
- "Oh, so-and-so said I could be here (but they left|but they don't
exist|but I'm lying)"
- "Why are you singling me out?"
- "I don't have to tell you my name or anything about me"
- or they might threaten you with harm or otherwise scare you.

The reason I still think an RFID system should be in-place is because while
it is important to enforce these roles at all times, it's not always
possible. A second layer of computer-controlled access control will make it
harder for people to make their way into the space when those who are
available to sponsor them are less available.

Bruce Schneier is keen to use the phrase "security theater" to describe
systems that only seem to enforce restrictions but can easily be
circumvented by those with enough intent. And if you'll notice in the other
thread I've responded to, I've labeled this RFID system as such. It is not
a silver bullet, but it might make it easier to get the job done.

If we're being honest, if associate and full members are the only ones who
should ever be able to enter the space on their own, then it would make
sense to give them all access on this RFID system and keep the door locked
24/7 (just like the gate is). This technology won't solve our problems, but
all-hours access restriction seems like the most effective way of keeping
it relevant. Wouldn't you agree?

(BTW, having just written the last paragraph, I'm not saying I agree with
such a drastic measure. But anyone who's serious about members-only access
should see why it makes sense.)

Jeffrey