[Noisebridge-discuss] access for members and associate members at all hours

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon May 12 20:19:05 UTC 2014

I saw mention of the "members only hours" concept again recently and i am
sad that people don't remember why that failed.  It was terrible.

I recommended from the start, and i still recommend, having the same
policy at all times.  There was actually a nice hacker visiting from
Germany who was kicked out of noisebridge only because it was 11PM and
people were just following orders.  The after-hours thing is a dead idea.

I really think noisebridge should pass my last proposal, which makes it
really straightforward who can be in the space, at all times:

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2013-November/040268.html

  "Noisebridge is open to Members, Associate Members, and guests sponsored
   by same, at all times.  Any person who is not one of the above may be
   asked to leave if no Member or Associate Member present wishes to
   sponsor them at that time, with no other justification being necessary.

   People coming to Noisebridge who don't know anyone should be introduced
   to members who are present so that sponsorship can occur if members
   present choose to do so at that time.  Noisebridge should present itself
   as 'open to public visitors and guests as often as possible'"

on another note, i see that people have been talking about the RFID thing
as if it is going to solve social problems.  I don't believe that's true.
I think it's a great project and worth doing, but ultimately the social
problems we are dealing with will ONLY be solved by people like us showing
up at the space, and caring for the space in-person.

Some people mentioned they were at the space the other day, talking about
the RFID stuff, while two people were sleeping in the kitchen, and They
Did Nothing.  I understand why, because for too long Noisebridge has not
provided an effective framework for justifying or supporting the ejection
of people for sleeping, or general misuse of the space.  My proposal above
addresses that problem, in a practical way that eliminates the blame game.

With the above proposal, a person can be asked to leave without an
accusation of sleeping or habitating or anything like that - simply
because there is no member present who wishes to sponsor them.  It makes
it much easier to ask someone to leave, which is the only way we can take
our hackerspace back from mission st. chaos.

in the words of Bruce Schneier:
"If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't
understand the problems and you don't understand the technology."