[Noisebridge-discuss] the dude with the guitar near the kitchen

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu May 22 17:07:13 UTC 2014

Bringing a little Community Working Group stuff to the attention of
the mailing list:

There's a new guy setting up a bit of an audio nest near the kitchen.
He tends to turn up his music pretty loud, which has bothered some
people.

However no one seems to have taken the time to find out who he is.
(Am I wrong about that?)  Not even a name.

It would be helpful if several people would:

* Trade names with him.  Ask him how he found Noisebridge.

* Tell him that our One Rule is to Be Excellent To Each Other
(something tells me he'll understand that)

* Encourage him to use headphones -- explain that we're not a rock
studio -- thin walls, classes, etc.

* Tell him there are others at the space that do a lot of audio stuff.
 If he seems interested in making connections, talk about the mailing
list, Slack, coming to events.

* Tell him about the wiki as a way to understand Noisebridge better.
If he doesn't seem to want to do that, explain the most important
things -- how it began, the types of people who are involved,
Membership, This Is Not A Shelter, etc.

* Stress the fact that NB is a shared community space, and it's free
to use but it does require some social interaction.

* MOST IMPORTANT: tell him that anyone can ask anyone to leave for any
reason.  Not just Members, but *anyone*.  So it behooves everyone to
be friendly and respectful.

The above may not be accomplishable by just one person, which is I
would encourage *anyone* who happens to run into him to do any part
they feel up for at the time.

If he looks like he's bored of hearing it, then we've done a good job.

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com