[Noisebridge-discuss] class / community giving idea: Build Your Own Computer

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sat May 10 07:11:31 UTC 2014

Very Excellent Proposal,  My bedrock contrib is suggesting the OS be Puppy
5.7 for a ton of reasons.

I did a similar project some years ago on a smaller scale, and setting up a
process workflow with some fixtures made a lot of time/labor sense.
Including PSU Clean&Test plans. Ranges from some of the DX cheapo pass/fail
light boxes up to proper load volt&current monitors.

A dewatered shop air hose and a shop vac hose modded so the air blower
nozzle shoots from the hose end makes the blow&suck process waayless messy.
for  cases and psu's both...

Stuff like making  a drive wipe/OS install workstation with whatever is
appropriate for your scope of work could be a joy or pain path choice.
Same with PXE boot servers for Puppy...

It also depends on how much trade off is conceived between the built it
from a random pile grab or pre-tested astat bagged bits extremes. Or the
often common- grab a computer from the stack knowing only that it was
drivescrubbed with a DBAN  CD etc and maybe, maybe also tested with a puppy
CD or Flashdrive.  Drives can be pre-loaded with Puppy to save time... Or
have it in separate classes- Begins with cleanup>test add giblets as
desired.

Don't forget- a lot of corporate boxen these days are a hella lot
integrated= few swappable cards.

Call my basic riff as angles on a  meme of your data lives in the cloud-
flashdrive is just a local Puppy Boot Tool.

Closing thought- A Puppy PXE boot server at Hackerspaces- NB could Lead By
Example

Oren Beck

816.632.3695