[Noisebridge-discuss] RaspberryPI GPIO Library

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Tue May 13 00:23:38 UTC 2014

On Monday, May 12, 2014 17:01:26 Casey Callendrello wrote:
> Torrie,
> Neat. Out of curiosity, and I mean this in the most friendly and
> inquisitive way possible, why didn't you use one of the existing libraries?

That is a perfectly good question, Casey.

GeePIO is built on GLib, so it provides all the magical power of GObjects with
properties/signals/slots/etc. GObject-introspection bindings allow for the
library to be used with many other scripting languages including Vala...once I
manage to beat g-i-r into shape.

Additionally, this library is designed to be able to support different
backends in the future, for use with /dev/mem instead of just the generic
stuff in /sys/class/gpio. As you would expect, GPIO offsets in /dev/mem is
different for each platform.