[Noisebridge-discuss] The NASA Space Apps Stuttgart 2015 Hackathon winner BigWhoop is a finalist for the NASA Global People’s Choice Award!

Andreas Hornig andreas.hornig at aerospaceresearch.net
Tue Apr 28 12:48:10 UTC 2015

Hi Noisebridge,

I know that some of you like Software Defined Radio and Space. So here is a
short news for you and hopefully, you will vote for our small BigWhoop
project :).

Andreas

#####
The NASA Space Apps Stuttgart 2015 Hackathon winner BigWhoop is a finalist
for the NASA Global People’s Choice Award!

The NASA Space Application Challenge 2015: one hackathon weekend, 133
cities around the world, 949 projects, and our BigWhoop project is among
the final 15 for the global People's Choice Award. Read on to learn what
happened during the event at the Stuttgart hackerspace shackspace and then
go on and vote for BigWhoop and make it win the award!

Just visit this page and vote for our #BigWhoop app (once a day).
>> https://2015.spaceappschallenge.org/awards/#peopleschoice

NASA’s Space Apps Challenge is an international mass
collaboration/hackathon organized on a global scale and held in all major
cities worldwide, with a focus on finding solutions to challenges faced in
space exploration and also to life on Earth.

The Winner of the Stuttgart chapter of Global NASA Space Apps Challenge is
BigWhoop. BigWhoop addresses the “Open Source Air Traffic Tracking”
Challenge. This challenge required the building of a tool that allowed
users to select a particular flight and see its out-the-window or other
views of the aircraft, and airspace. We decided to extend the scope of the
project a bit. Our app was designed as a global sensor grid to measure the
whole radio spectrum -thus  making air traffic monitoring a subset of the
solution. This free and community driven approach based on small and
low-cost software defined radio devices earned the local team a global
nomination for NASA’s People’s Choice Awards and will be competing to be
among the final 15 out of 949 projects for global People’s Choice awards.
And now you can vote for the Stuttgart Team as of 27 April.

Watch the #BigWhoop Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnamC7pU1Ok

Find out more in blog and join the BigWhoop team >>
http://shackspace.de/?p=4978