[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal to open Noisebridge at sunrise

bfb at riseup.net bfb at riseup.net
Thu Apr 30 03:17:44 UTC 2015

Hi all,

At the last several meetings there has been lively discussion to bump up
our opening time from 11:00 to sunrise. Specifically, Earl, our
gatekeeper, is configured for three user types.

Earl currently opens when an RFID key is scanned for:

anonymous users from 11:00 - 22:00
deanonymized users from 7:00 - 23:59
root users with 24 hour access

The proposal is to change this to:

anonymous users from sunrise - 22:00
deanonymized users form sunrise - 23:59
root users with 24 hour access

To accomplish this we use the https://github.com/cpucycle/astrotime
library. The code is in place, perhaps ready to deploy.

How do others feel about this change? If you're curious, have a look at
meeting discussions.

https://www.noisebridge.net/Meeting_Notes_2015_04_07
https://www.noisebridge.net/Meeting_Notes_2015_04_21
https://www.noisebridge.net/Meeting_Notes_2015_04_28

Some salient points for me include:

Early birds have described friction with the 11:00 opening hour
Noisebridge is lonely when empty
Noisebridge prospers when used, not abused
Early birds want to hack between sunrise and 11:00 at Noisebridge
Updating RFID keys with contact information requires editing a text file
(not currently supported via the touchpad interface)
Decoupling Noisebridge from an arbitrary and obsolete governmental
definition, the PDT/PST flux, is nice
Sunrise is beautiful
If the change is not working out, we can always roll back

Thanks much for reading,
Kevin