[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal to open Noisebridge at sunrise

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Thu Apr 30 21:49:20 UTC 2015

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 01:53:19 PM Harry Moreno wrote:
> Anyone object to allowing anonymous users early access to Noisebridge?

I do. Vehemently.

The set of anonymous users includes such people as Harvey, Sid, Rob 2.0, and
other fun personalities from the 86 page. I'd be cool with giving identified
people early access to Noisebridge. It isn't a requirement that the
information in the database be one's True And Legal Name (as the state of
California calls it), but merely the nym one wishes to identify as. My entries
in there say "tdfischer" and "tdfischer at hackerbots.net". You'd be hard pressed
to find a court of law that would accept tdfischer as my "legal" name.

I honestly don't care what name people give when they deanonymize themselves
in the database. I only care that people can be held accountable for shitting
in the woodshop. Consensus on all levels has it that shitting in the woodshop
is unexcellent. If an anonymous person with a vendetta comes in and shits in
the woodshop, how could it be prevented? Would we just hope that they don't
shit in there again? Shouldn't it make sense that we would know who did it and
tell the community "Hey folks, Jackhammer Jill shit in the woodshop. Don't let
her back in."?

Being listed in the access database as "member" is just a technical
implementation. Much like all attempts to programatically validate someone's
Real Name as being two separate words with UTF-8 characters, it completely
misses the reality of how things work. You still don't need to be a member to
have 24/7 access to the door.

However, you do need the consent of Noisebridge to have it. I'm pretty much a
hardass about consenting to that and insisting that I get to know someone and
feel comfortable with it before I'd be cool with them having 24/7 access.