[Noisebridge-discuss] Techno-Activism Third Mondays: The Internet of Garbage with Sarah Jeong, August 17

Danny O'Brien danny at eff.org
Sat Aug 8 01:10:04 UTC 2015

Sarah Jeong's new book, The Internet of Garbage, takes a look at the problems
of harassment through the lens of the online world's struggle to regulate its
own worst outputs. From spam-fighting to sprawling copyright law, Jeong's
thesis is that whatever fix we consider, it can't just be about hitting delete.
Free speech rights, intermediary liability, anonymity, and moderator working
conditions are just some of the other considerations we need to look at before
anyone takes the garbage out.

Jeong will talk about the book, her coverage of other Internet issues such as
Garcia v. Google and the Silk Road trial, and future issues for the modern
techno-activist.