[Noisebridge-discuss] Bernie?

Corey Quinn corey at sequestered.net
Mon Aug 24 21:29:34 UTC 2015

Okay, in the interest of adding value to the space / list, I asked an
attorney about this. Note that this isn't legal advice, it's an
off-the-cuff response to a (probably badly) phrased question, no legal
relationship is explicitly or implicitly expressed, etc:

> That could theoretically get them in trouble, yeah. If it's purely about
giving some of their active members a place to meet and talk about
whatever, that is probably okay, but the more they explicitly make it about
a meetup to support a political candidate, the higher the risk to their tax
exempt status. This wouldn't require anyone raising it / reporting it as a
concern, either. The IRS could find out through a random audit etc.