[Noisebridge-discuss] RFID tokens

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Thu Aug 27 14:38:06 UTC 2015

On 27 August 2015 at 16:15, subbes <subbes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pre-reboot, I recall one of the raised issues with RFID tokens was that they
> could be sniffed/pinged (IDK the terminology) by things other than the
> reader, thus allowing a stranger to passively ID you as a member of
> noisebridge.

We use generic RFID tokens that are very common for all kinds of
applications, and we don't store anything Noisebridge specific on it
(you could even use your Clipper card, which uses the same technology,
to open Noisebridge), so you can't figure out from a sniffed RFID if
you have access to Noisebridge.

The main concern with sniffing in that context would be that you could
create a copy of a token (with the additional hardware effort) and use
that to enter NB. Which is an explicitly ok hack :)

-h