[Noisebridge-discuss] Active audio-speaker fix

Dzmitry Lazerka dlazerka at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 01:06:47 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

One of my Rokit RPG2 speakers broke itself, and I decided to go the hard
way to fix it.

I've bought soldering iron and multimeter, but have no idea what to do.
Last time I soldered some 15 years ago.

Basically, for some time speaker started to add some "shhh" noise
regularly. Then, one day it said only "shhh" and sound faded away. Now when
I turn it on, it either goes with loud "shh", or with normal audio for a
second, and then fades away quickly.

Just examining its board didn't reveal any bloated condensers. The plate is
randomly covered with black drops of some rubber kind of glue or something.
And at one place, near small diode+resistor I see the rubber glue starts
bubbling when I turn the speaker on, like it overheats. Probably that's the
problem.

So I was thinking if anyone is interested, I can bring the speakers, good
one and bad one, and hack it together. I'm not really afraid of breaking
them beyond repair, so we can use them on a class or something. I'm not
really an active member to know if it is of any interest to folks.

-----
Best regards,
Dzmitry Lazerka