[Noisebridge-discuss] Mac Hacking Friday report (2015-01-16)

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 06:20:35 UTC 2015

This past Mac Hacking Friday was the best yet.  I brought my PowerBook G4 charger, a FireWire 400 cable, and some install discs.  I was joined by Torrie, Teapot, Ian (who donated a bunch of G4 towers), and my friend Matt.

Sadly, I didn't see the iMac G4 from last week, which I'd been planning to use to help bootstrap other machines.  But I was able to set up the 12" PowerBook G4 for the same purpose.  I installed OS X 10.4, along with its developer tools.  Ian disassembled the lime iMac and removed the disc stuck there.  From there we used Target Disk Mode on the iMac, attached via FireWire to the PowerBook, to install Mac OS 9 on it, which Matt managed to get booting in spite of Apple's bless(8) man page.

https://twitter.com/tdfischer_/status/556330125340327936

Naturally, MacRelix was installed on both machines and a demo was given.

Josh

P.S Note to self:  FireWire Target Disk Mode doesn't work if the cable is attached before entering Target Disk Mode on the slave.  Unplug the cable, startup holding 'T', and then plug it back in.