[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebroke

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 05:00:30 UTC 2015

OH MY GOD -- DANNY IS STARTING FIVE MINUTES OF FAME AGAIN!!  YAY!!

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 20:42:59 -0800
From: danny at spesh.com
To: john.d.shutt at gmail.com
CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebroke

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 2:13 AM, John Shutt <john.d.shutt at gmail.com> wrote:
I think we could use a short-term, medium-term, and long-term approach, all of which feed into each other.

Short-Term
Let's throw a party where we charge for drinks and ask for donations at the door. This should be good for a few hundred dollars at least and bring new people into the space. The Remix and Reboot parties were big successes, and I think we could replicate that every month. And unlike a lot of other things that are necessary to keep the space going (weekly meetings, safe-space working group, security, etc.), throwing a party is FUN.

Judging from the nice things I hear about the space these days, I think it'd also be an opportunity to attract a bunch of new people into trying out the space. I'd do something like have a workshop weekend perhaps with a party at the end of it.

Medium-Term
Set up a "Hacker at Large" or "Friend of Noisebridge" category of monthly donation, for people who want to support the space but don't have any inclination to become a member. Right now we don't have an option for those people, assuming they exist.

I think the All New Treasurer has my list of Saviours.

Long-Term
Get more paying members. Building a community takes a while, and building the right community is even harder. Parties are a good, low-pressure way to introduce people to the community, and specialized groups keep them involved long enough to understand how the community as a whole works, and decide to take a bigger role. Getting Five Minutes of Fame going again would be cool, but I don't have the bandwidth to lead that or do it on my own. If someone else wants to take the lead, I could pitch in a bit.

I could be tempted! I would like a regular talking gig again, although maybe we could rethink the format a bit.
OH MY GOD WHAT AM I SAYING

Okay, So:
I'll call a party planning meeting once I'm back from Istanbul if anyone wants to help with that. I'll also be around for a weekly meeting to talk about how we could make recurring donations more attractive for non-members.
John