[Noisebridge-discuss] [sudo-discuss] medium article on tech and barriers to entry

Anca Mosoiu anca at techliminal.com
Tue Jan 27 00:49:36 UTC 2015

Thanks for sharing this article, Praveen.

I used to volunteer at the Berkeley Public Library, and I know that, while
libraries are a good source for wifi, the computers there weren't really
set up for programming.  What can we do to add some resources for "learning
to code" to our local libraries?

Hmm.

Anca.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Praveen Sinha <dmhomee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I just wanted to say specifically that I do find saviorism
> problematic.  That said, I've noticed that network access is critical for
> all sorts of folks that come in to our hackerspaces for a lot of reasons.
> I sincerely believe that connectivity is a human right as fundamental as
> water, and we have companies like xfinity that have captured what should be
> a public good D-:  I'd really like a broader conversation in our grassroots
> communities to shape bay area policy.
>
> Additionally, someone sent me this link to groups like this in Detroit
> http://detroitdjc.org/?page_id=9  We are deluged with tech here in the
> bay area, but our visions for access have yet to be defined often times...
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 8:19 PM, Praveen Sinha <dmhomee at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> https://medium.com/@GRardB/techs-high-barrier-to-entry-for-the-underprivileged-da254356547d
>>
>> There's some problematic stuff with the article, but I think it does a
>> good job in highlighting broadband/wireless disparities and the critical
>> role that open wifi and projects like mesh could do to pick up the slack
>> where the municipal governments are totally failing...

-=-=-=-
Anca Mosoiu | Tech Liminal
anca at techliminal.com
M: (510) 220-6660