[Noisebridge-discuss] ESP8266 - $5 wifi module w/ GPIO, Lua firmware, etc. - Group Order?

Phillip Pearson pp at myelin.co.nz
Tue Jan 27 08:39:58 UTC 2015

You can get better pricing on Aliexpress... $2.58 each or better if
you're ordering 5+ at a time.

Note that there are multiple versions.  ESP-01 is probably what you
want for messing around and prototyping, because it has a 2x4 pin
header that exposes the critical pins.  ESP-03 is better if you're
developing software to run on the board itself, because it exposes a
whole bunch more GPIO pins, but it's a surface mount module, so
requires some slightly fiddly soldering if you don't already have a
PCB to mount it on.  (I'm going to whip up a breakout board for it at
some point though, so if anyone's super interested in ESP-03, let me
know, and I'll prioritize that.)

Cheers,
Phil