[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Personal invitation to SAPPHO & SWEAT this SAT (11:30am, Lake Merritt Bandstand)

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Thu Jun 25 20:38:08 UTC 2015

hey sudoroom & noisebridge

an artist friend of mine and a founder of a mycology (mushrooms as
material) company is also a really cool person!
She's doing this pride weekend performance event Saturday at Lake Merritt
in oakland.

I think this would be appropriate for the sudoroom & noisebridge crew

LET'S KEEP THE BAY AREA WEIRD!

--

Hi friends & accomplices,

you're receiving this personal invitation because you are:

1) awesome & experimental & not afraid of weirdness
2) are fond of me, Chani Bockwinkel, Caroline Alexander, Sappho, Kate Bush,
Ciara, and/or any number of other contemporary and historical goddesses.
hehe.
2) live in the east bay or are not easy bay-averse
3) will forgive me for this because we all love each other and you know the
drill:

SF Chronicle has decided to cover Heavy Breathing
<http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/fitness-for-your-brain/Content?oid=4362132>,
the summer conceptual fitness series i co-programmed, for the front page of
their upcoming Datebook section. They're sending a journalist and
photographer to our next session, THIS SATURDAY, and we'd love a strong
showing of friends + participants for the occasion. Please come support!! :)

Saturday's session is a one-hour weirdo fitness experience under the
direction of Chani Bockwinkel and Caroline Alexander, that will involve
stretching + dance-aerobic-type exercises inspired by the new work they
have been developing around Sappho and Sapphic poetry + an awesome
soundtrack featuring Kate Bush + Ciara + others. More details (from fbook
invite):

Get Sapphic on Pride Saturday with Chani Bockwinkel & Caroline Alexander!!!

WHEN: Saturday, June 27, 11:30am - 12:30pm
WHERE: Lake Merritt / Edoff Memorial Bandstand
666 Bellevue Avenue, Lake Merritt, Oakland
https://localwiki.org/oakland/Lake_Merritt_Bandstand
RSVP & QUESTIONS: heavyheavybreathing at gmail.com
FREE & OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

circular, moving our A$$ muscles and feeling our insides together. Read at
least one passage of Sappho (your choice; see resources below), and come
ready to project yourself into history while invoking ancient greek women
and contemporary goddesses.

Wear gym shoes and an outfit that brings out your deep femme/tough exercise
queen.

RESOURCES:
Anne Carson's "If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho":
http://www.scribd.com/doc/82932076/Anne-Carson-Sappho-If-Not-Winter#scribd
Poetry Foundation's Sappho resources: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/
bio/sappho#poet
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poetryfoundation.org%2Fbio%2Fsappho%23poet&h=SAQHvxwoX&enc=AZOzmHDLG-LGvkVvWcJ5fRhvBI9O7oGdIUNGPYTKn-PLEFAETapDA5tNSMN_Z00mT4Y&s=1>