[Noisebridge-discuss] Does anyone have access to Pick and Place machines?

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Mon Jun 1 20:21:36 UTC 2015

On 1 June 2015 at 12:50, Patrick O'Doherty <p at trickod.com> wrote:

> There's a pick and place machine in the space that was constructed for
> maker faire. It's a LitePlacer (http://www.liteplacer.com/). I believe
> Henner and Miloh would be the two best folks to ask about its current
> operational state.

> On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 12:30:43PM -0700, Matt Stone wrote:
> > I am prototyping a PCB with tiny (0402) components, and currently failing
> > at positioning them accurately.  I have a solder stencil, reflow oven,
> > boards, and components.

Hi Matt,
Yes, we have a pick'n place machine, and the specs claim that it can
reliably place 0402s.

We have it very new and It is not properly set up yet: we have not actually
placed components yet. Right now, we are in the process of getting it
calibrated (it has some software with, let's say, challenging UI). There is
of course rpt2pnp but for that we also need to get the reference points
into the system.
If you are interested, join us this evening (Miloh, Rolf and I will be
there) to work towards getting the machine up and running and getting a
feel for it. If you have a test-board, the better, but don't expect things
to be fully working tonight. But you could be one of the first users. And
it would be good to get knowledgeable people such as you introduced to the
machine to spread the operating knowledge for this machine.

-h