[Noisebridge-discuss] Recommendations for VOIP

Carlo Contavalli ccontavalli at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:43:11 UTC 2015

Hello,

I want to play with VOIP at home, mainly to make _and_ receive calls
from other countries.

So...

1) hardware box, to connect a DECT phone to it, or any sort of
cordless phone. Anything you recommend?

2) providers... I'd like to make phone calls abroad for cheap... and
get a couple phone numbers to receive calls on in other countries.
Seems like to have a phone numbers most will charge me a few bucks a
month. And most providers that allow to receive incoming calls, cost
much more to make outbound calls. So was thinking of using disjoint
providers. One for outbound, one for inbound. Any hardware box you
know of that can do this? suggestions?

3) encryption... sigh :( despite Snowden, the fact that we are in
2015, and the existence of encrypted protocols, seems like it is
really hard to find providers or hardware boxes that support
encryption. I'm about to give up...

Thanks,
Carlo