[Noisebridge-discuss] Moar Laser Cutter Infos

Adam adam at aperture.systems
Mon Nov 23 08:16:47 UTC 2015

I have this model laser. It's on loan at sudo right now.

The board isn't just a USB-Parallel converter. On my laser (R.3) the
board was a mixture of motor drivers, a few buffers and a CPLD doing
something somewhat intelligent. When it failed, I was able to have
full spectrum replace it with r.4 of their board for $400, which is
pretty identical, though they've done away with the DB25 port in favor
of direct to CPLD - USB.

I have a guide on the use of these lasers here. http://hack.rit.edu/tools/fsl/

I would not recommend hacked solutions over the FSL board, unless the
solution is well documented, on a dedicated computer, backed up, and
taught to a few NB chiefs. My time running RIT's hackerspace has
taught that lack of education is the #1 reason people don't use tools
like these, and when there's no one to teach, nothing will get done,
and that sometimes it really is better to just pay extra for
something that just works.

-A
Adam Munich - Builder of wild things (and organizations)
Tel: +1-650-452-0554

The key to mastering any skill is nothing more than passion and persistence.