[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser Cutter Repair Work
organicunity at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 17 19:36:21 UTC 2015
So me and some NB-ers took a closer look at the Lasercutter on Thursday night. I took some pics that I'm too lazy / carpal tunnelled to upload right now but here's the gist of it:
1) someone has definitely tampered with the boards inside
2) the main I/O board is there but there is what seems to be a parallel port to USB adapter board missing
3) The main power PCB needs some major work. Someone removed the heatsink mount on the main output transistors and another was not properly insulated. I fixed these issues but I think its possible (and worth replacing) the 4 power transistors in there (it would cost around $15 in parts).
4) Someone replaced the main 6A 250v fuse for the power board with a HACKED DC 30A(!) fuse. Lols. I put a 4A one in there now since NB had no 6A ones on-hand
5) I don't think the system turns on right now. When you turn the key over the LED lights and fans come on, but these are from separate power supplies (I believe the fan runs off AC). So the main board is not working at this point I think, since the +24v and +5v output LEDs do not light up and I measured nothing there (+2v give or take). The I/O board could send a startup signal to it, but I kinda doubt it.
I could go more in-depth with the repair later on. A Service Manual would REALLY help with this. If anyone can help source that / send me links to any schematics and info on this thing that would go a long way.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Noisebridge-discuss