[Noisebridge-discuss] Responsive skin for Noisebridge wiki

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 02:15:42 UTC 2015

Hey Alex,

I am a wiki admin from a user privileges perspective, but not from a server perspective. That means that I cannot install new themes on the wiki or upgrade any components, but I do have write access to special pages, including CSS and JavaScript files that are used across the site.

I did the custom styling for the homepage and my class’s page. All of the CSS is available here, but only admins can edit it: https://noisebridge.net/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.css

The good thing about CSS is that it has mobile support built-in with the help of media queries. I use them a little bit to make some content look nicer on my class’s page. I could certainly write a few rules that work across the site to make it look better for mobile. I could also possibly add custom functionality in a JavaScript file that makes menus behave differently, such as toggling when a menu icon is clicked.

The biggest impediment to this sort of thing is my own laziness… and the fact that the main HTML template doesn’t have a <meta name=“viewport”> tag, which makes sites act more like apps on mobile devices (less zooming).

But if you’d like to push me along and recommend specific design improvements that will make the pages look nicer for small screens, feel free, and I might get to it eventually. :)

Jeffrey