[Noisebridge-discuss] Internet of Things conference, Feb. 18, Computer History Museum

Eve Edelson eveedelson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:55:23 UTC 2016

This is a one-time post which I hope is appropriate for our listserv.

Our local chapter of the Internet Society (www.internetsociety.org) is
holding a conference on the Internet of Things.
The agenda follows.  Vint Cerf will be giving the keynote & we've put
together a good slate of speakers.
(I'm on the board so trying to help out by spreading the word)

Respectfully
Eve Edelson

_____________________________________
​
INET/IoT Conference: The Internet of Things  - PRIVACY, SECURITY,
INTEROPERABILITY

Thursday, February 18, 2016,   8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Computer History Museum, 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View

www.sfbayisoc.org/iot-conference/

Anything - our cars, our homes, roads, farm animals and fields - can be
fitted with networked sensors, and the data transmitted for use in making
smarter decisions. The need to collect and analyze this resultant huge
amount of data is driving advances in Big Data computing, and also raising
serious privacy and security concerns.

AGENDA

Tickets include breakfast and lunch.

8:00 – 8:45 a.m.    Registration & Breakfast
8:50 - 9:00 a.m.    Welcome from the SF Bay Area ISOC Chapter Board

9:00 – 9:40 a.m.
IoT An Overview: Understanding the Issues & Challenges of a More Connected
World
Ms. Karen Rose, Senior Director of Strategy and Analysis, ISOC Global

9:40 – 10:20 a.m.
Keynote: Interoperability, Security and Privacy in the Internet of Things
Mr. Vint Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist, Google

10:20 - 10:30 a.m. / Break

10:30 - 11:10 a.m.
IoT Standards & Interoperability
Mr. Bruce Nordman, Research Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

11:10 – 11:50 a.m.
IoT Security: Ascertaining What is Abnormal To Detect What is Potential
Malicious Behavior
Ms. Merike Kaeo, Chief Technology Officer, Farsight Security, Inc.
newly observed hostnames.

11:50 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Delayed-Tolerant Network (DTN) as a Cost-Effective means to ExtendReach of
the IoT & Improve Security
Mr. Scott Burleigh, Principal Engineer, JPL/NASA

12:30 – 1:15 p.m. / Lunch (included)

1:15 – 1:50 p.m.
IoT Upside: Consumer And Public Benefits Of Iot In The Building Industry
And Civic Management
Mr. George Minardos, Chief Executive Officer, .Build gtld-Generic Top Level
Domain

1:50 – 2:30 p.m.
IoT Information Security Risks And Potential Risk Remediation Approaches
Ms. Michele Guel, Distinguished IT Engineer, Cisco

2:30 – 3:10 p.m.
Seven Misperceptions about the Internet of Things
Mr. Michael Nelson, Public Policy, CloudFlare Inc.
protection, and competition law.

3:10 - 3:50 p.m.
Privacy and Public Policy Implications of IoT
Mr. Girard Kelly, Legislative Assistant, Office of Assembly Member Ed Chau,
California State Legislature

3:50 - 4:00 p.m. / Break
4:00-4:45 pm / Panel Discussion
4:45 - 5:00 p.m. / Closing Remarks & Thank You, SFBay Area ISOC Chapter
Board