[Noisebridge-discuss] Impulse trip down to Vandenberg to see the latest SpaceX launch tomorrow (Sunday)?

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Jan 16 23:31:52 UTC 2016

SpaceX are launching an oceanography satellite tomorrow, and also trying
another one of their booster rocket return landings tomorrow at Vandenberg,
which is about 300 miles south of San Francisco. The launch is timed for
10.42AM Sunday.

Is anyone interested in driving down to see it? A regular rocket-watcher
writes on the SpaceX reddit:

*If you are on the fence about driving to view...* You should take the
gamble to come see this launch. It's extremely rare to have a launch be on
the weekend, during the day and have a 100% weather clearance three days in
advance. This is the perfect launch to see if you live 200 miles away and
are considering the drive. It's always a roll of the dice but the odds are
best on this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/415ppz/tips_on_viewing_sundays_launch_from_vafb/

I don't drive, but I'd happily pony up fuel or even a car hire to accompany
someone else down there. We'd have to get up super early, and the launch
could always be postponed or cancelled for non-weather reasons, but
remember: we do these things not because they are easy, but because they
are hard, and also for the chance of wandering around outside military
installations and having lunch at weird space exploration boom towns
afterwards:
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/415ppz/tips_on_viewing_sundays_launch_from_vafb/cz048l0

d.