[Noisebridge-discuss] Impulse trip down to Vandenberg to see the latest SpaceX launch tomorrow (Sunday)?

Michael Toren mct at toren.net
Sun Jan 17 07:50:32 UTC 2016

By the way, FWIW, the reddit post says:

   > VAFB broadcasts launch communication traffic that can be picked up
   > with a regular radio scanner. This is by far your best option for
   > listening to launch traffic.
   >
   > I will be at the W Ocean viewing area with a scanner tuned to launch
   > communications.
   >
   > Listening on a radio scanner is the best way to hear communication
   > traffic.  I have seen many people try and fail to watch / listen to
   > the delayed webcast.
   >
   > Available frequencies are listed at:
   > http://www.spacearchive.info/vafbnet.htm I forget which one is the
   > best in Lompoc but I think it's 147.00.

The linked page is one of Brian Webb's, from 2003.  Brian runs the "launch
alert" list (http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/launch-alert), where
you can learn about upcoming Vandenberg activity.  (Very good list, highly
recommended!)  Getting ready for another launch last year, I pinged Brian
asking if there was any way to tune into the countdown.  He replied:

   > Providing Vandenberg launch status info over ham radio is something
   > that is not actively encouraged. As a matter of fact, one ham radio
   > repeater in Santa Barbara prohibited this activity.
   >
   > Why can't you use an I-phone and listen to the launch over the
   > Internet from NASA TV, Spaceflightnow.com, or the United Launch
   > Alliance web site?

So, we'll see.  I really hope it works!  I don't have a clear memory of us
trying the repeaters last time, but I'm sure we must have.  We brought our
radios this trip, anyway, just in case. :-)

~mct