[Noisebridge-discuss] Impulse trip down to Vandenberg to see the latest SpaceX launch tomorrow (Sunday)?

Michael Toren mct at toren.net
Mon Jan 18 03:33:27 UTC 2016

Someone had the internet stream going from the viewing area, but from there
it was about a full two minutes behind.

My VX-7R couldn't receive on 368.300, but my friend's VX-8R could!  So
we piped though someone's SUV sound system parked next to us, and pumped
up the volume, which was nice.  That frequency only covered Falcon during
the early flight.  We heard MECO, separation, traffic about stage two
performing well, and some traffic about stage1 firing again, presumably to
return to the barge, but I'm not certain.  It did not cover the Falcon9
landing at the barge, which was unfortunate.  As someone pointed out, by
that far into the launch, it's not really a Vandenberg AFB problem :-)

There was no visibility.  We were on Ocean Road, perhaps a quarter mile
away from the barricade.  Loud roar of the engines, but never saw it behind
the fog and cloud cover.  The cows (and goats, I hear) were significantly
freaked out about the whole thing and started running around, charging away
from the hill that obstructed our view of the pad.

Space!

~mct