[Noisebridge-discuss] Board Elections 2016: Time To Nominate Some People

John Shutt john.d.shutt at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:42:56 UTC 2016

Dear Noisebridge Community,

Your anarchist hackerspace is overdue for its once-a-year taste of the arbitrary and capricious decision-making process called “democracy.”

We can’t avoid it. It’s in our bylaws.

This process lets us maintain our 501(c)3 nonprofit status, and lets you deduct your donations to the space from your taxes at the end of the year.

(Speaking of which, when was the last time you donated? You should probably do it again <https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Donate>.)

You will need to be a member of Noisebridge to vote, but you do not need to be a member to make a nomination to the board — or to be nominated! The current board <https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Board> consists of yours truly, Signal, J, Patrick, and Casey, and at least two of us (me and Signal) are planning to step down this election cycle.

If you want to nominate someone to the board you can reply to this thread, send me a separate email, or send me the person’s nym in some other way. I will try to get in touch with everyone who is nominated to see if they are actually interested in serving on the board if elected. Nominating yourself is considered gauche.

After two weeks, I’ll present a list of nominees to the community, and voting will begin. Two weeks after that, voting will end and we will have to update the wiki page.

If you want to help with the election process in any way, let me know — I’m managing everything so far, since it’s not particularly interesting and I drew the short straw.

Some things to keep in mind when nominating potential board members:

1. Do they understand the purpose and culture of Noisebridge?

2. Do they hack a thing (or many things)?

3. Are they trustworthy with stuff like managing taxes and bank accounts?

4. Do they have some kind of weird power agenda? (This is bad; they should not have this.)

5. Would they bring a fresh perspective to the board?

Let’s try to have this thing in the can by the middle of June, yeah? Special notes for this year’s election:

The party convention will be held at the Sycamore.
Individual campaign donations are limited to $5,000,000.
Satoshi Nakamoto is a superdelegate.

Cheers,
John