[Noisebridge-discuss] This Saturday: Cypherpunks Write Code Meetup @ 6:30pm

Steve Phillips steve at tryingtobeawesome.com
Thu Nov 10 03:39:50 UTC 2016

Hackers,

This Saturday at Noisebridge we'll be hosting the first ever Cypherpunks
Write Code Meetup!

Event description:

*Since the Snowden revelations: more people use Tor! More people use
Signal! Snowden is safe!*

*But perhaps these facts have lulled us to sleep exactly when the world
needs cypherpunks to buckle down most, before digital human privacy is
simply gone; almost all privacy-enhancing software development is being
poured into nearly-identical secure messaging apps, after all, rather than
protecting the many other things we do with software (which we'll talk
about, too).*

*I (Steve Phillips) will cover the surveillance realities confronting us,
what has been done to protect netizens from suspicionless surveillance thus
far, and which (types of) privacy-enhancing projects seem to be most
critical for us developers and designers to contribute to most urgently.*

*Then we'll open it up to group discussion to talk more about all of the
above and more, including your ideas for which projects deserve our
attention and should perhaps be the focus of our very first Cypherpunks
Write Code hackathon -- at our next event in just a few weeks.*

*6:30pm - Arrive*

*6:45pm - Talk + Group discussion*

*8:30pm - End (approximate time; feel free to leave earlier if you need to,
or stick around longer!)*

*I look forward to meeting you all! Let's do this.*

Already we've had 11 people RSVP, and I hope to increase that number
further between now and the event.

You can RSVP for the event here
<https://www.meetup.com/Cypherpunks-Write-Code/events/235214356/>, which
again is *this Saturday 11/12 at 6:30pm at Noisebridge* (my original post
mistakenly said Saturday 11/3, which does not exist :-D).

See you there!

https://www.meetup.com/Cypherpunks-Write-Code/events/235214356/

--Steve