[Noisebridge-discuss] Good crimpers (recommendation needed)

Bryon Roché kain at kain.org
Thu Apr 20 04:43:35 UTC 2017

So, those look pretty similar to mc3/mc4 terminals -- while it is technically possible to crimp them with a generic non ratcheting crimp wrench, it can be a pretty big pain from my experience.

The difference between crimps that use a generic connector and ones that want a good ratchet are in how the crimps are assembled. If you look at the detail picture you linked, you will see that the crimp splits in the middle top. Crimps that are more for generic electrical use tend to have a crimp where the crimping sleeve is already wrapped around itself somewhat or is just a solid tube.

That split makes the crimps easier to manufacture en masse (stamped metal and a bender ftw). The downside is you need a more precise tool to crimp reliably..

Those sorts of tools generally have a pliers or ratchet attached to some sort of die.

If you're a professional contractor maybe a $300 tool there makes sense, but if you search multiple vendors you can likely find a decent entry level ratcheting crimper that matches that crimp in the $50-70 range. Don't forget to check Amazon and Aliexpress, and you'd probably do well to check McMaster and Grainger, too.

If you're looking for details on a good one, find one for which you can source the ratchet and dies separately. That may be a lot more time than you have to spend, though.