[Noisebridge-discuss] [sudo-discuss] looking for a laptop that doesn't suck

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 00:33:40 UTC 2017

Just checking what Consumer Reports has to say about laptops in their
latest set of tests...

Recommended laptops in the 12-13" size include the Vaio Z (pricey, but
"phenomenal" battery life), LG Gram 13, HP Spectre x360, Dell XPS 13
Convertible, Vaio Z Flip ($$$), and then a bunch of Apple, Acer, Asus and
MS Surface models.

In the 14" size, top recommended laptops are Lenovo Yoga 910, LG Gram 14,
Lenovo Thinkpad X1, and Lenovo Yoga 710.

In the 15-16" size, top recommended laptops are Samsung Notebook 9, Macbook
Pro, HP Spectre 15 x360, Lenovo Yoga 710.

Various models of the Lenovo Yoga 710 rank very well in the under-$1000
crowd, with top marks for ergonomics and performance.

Their cheapest recommended laptops are the Acer Aspire S5-371-52JR
<http://www.consumerreports.org/products/laptop/acer-aspire-s5-371-52jr-386553/overview/>,
Acer Aspire V5-591G-55PV
<http://www.consumerreports.org/products/laptop/acer-aspire-v5-591g-55pv-387108/overview/>,
and the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 3rd-Gen
<http://www.consumerreports.org/products/laptop/brondell-inspiron-15-5000-3rd-gen-387113/overview/>
- all of which are around $700 - plus 11-inchers Lenovo Yoga 710 80V6000PUS
<http://www.consumerreports.org/products/laptop/lenovo-yoga-710-80v6000pus-387891/overview/>
($675) and Acer Spin 1 SP111-31-C2W3
<http://www.consumerreports.org/products/laptop/acer-spin-1-sp111-31-c2w3-388639/overview/>
($250!!).