[Noisebridge-discuss] UV blocking tape?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Aug 8 09:54:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 06:09:57AM +0000, Zach R wrote:
>I have a project using optic sensors outdoors but the sunlight is
>screwing them up (curse you, sunshine!!!)  anyone know of a tape-like
>thing I can put over them to block the UV light?

Aluminum backed tape should do the trick. You can get it at the hardware
store, it's used to repair sheet metal ducts.  (Which you shouldn't use
duct tape for, ironically.)

You can also cut kitchen aluminum foil to shape and then use a spray
adhesive if you need it to be sticky, such as Super 77 (get it at your
art supply store).

This is a bit of overkill, there are plenty of fabric backed tapes that
are fairly UV blocking, but metal foil is cheap and easy and certain to
work.

-andy