[Noisebridge-discuss] Glider Ink - a hackerspace graphic novel

Paweł Chojnacki alxd at alxd.org
Wed Aug 23 09:37:42 UTC 2017

Hey!

I didn't make it a single character on purpose. In some of the story
drafts the cat-herder / single-manager has just left the Space and the
other characters are trying to find balance without them.

I don't want to have a single "resolve all the social conflicts" / "wise
person" character. I want a dynamic relationships between Amanda, Robert
and Adam who try to get in that role, each with their own reputation and
negotiation skills, but also their agendas. I feel that has much more
potential for an interesting story than just a single cat herder. Imagine:

Amanda has just left a squat and has a lot of skills in organizing
people without being an outright "boss". She does what needs to be done,
but expects people to be sensible. She's an outspoken feminist and
doesn't program herself, which gets her little respect from the most
"basementish" people.

Robert has no problem with being "a father" and expects his word to be
last. He is [in most sketches] the official president of the legal
society representing Glider, but due to his work and family has less and
less time to come there. Some people feel that he has betrayed the space
he used to once run.

Adam is great in inspiring and encouraging people, but does way too many
thing and usually doesn't follow on his world. He plays "the popular
guy" and is the face of the Glider in media and among most of the
activists. Even though he tries not to, he quite often takes credit for
others' work.

How about those three being cat-herders and trying to strike a balance
in the Space? Doesn't it sound better than a single person?

Best,

alxd