[Noisebridge-discuss] Unpaid TechShop employees and instructors being legally pressured by potential buyers

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Tue Dec 26 20:01:49 UTC 2017

Hey all,

As I am sure you all know, TechShop closed last month.  What you may not
know is that TechShop owes its employees and instructors, to the best of
our knowledge, as much as $600,000.

TechShop was nothing without its employees and instructors, and many of us,
also being members, continued to give to the community on a daily basis and
freely, as is natural in a healthy shop/hacker culture.

But we all relied on compensation, as well, because we provided services to
TechShop at the exclusion of other employment.  Some, like myself, were
contractors who put in 40 hours a week, nine to five.  Some have suggested
that this is not indicative of the kind of work a contractor does, but
rather an employee, which puts TechShop in a bad position.

The TechShop employees and instructors have formed a group to communicate a
path forward.  We have begun putting the work forward to making sure that
we are compensated.  Some of us have hardship and are facing eviction, loss
of business, and even estrangement from family.

Now TechShop has a number of interested buyers.  Some of them are getting
desperate and have begun harassing members of the Employee group.

While the employee group was working to find an amicable way to resolve
this, the desperation has become threatening and legal threats have been
made.

It is obvious we now need help finding a path forward.  If anyone has
employee rights consultants who can help us, please contact me.

Thank you.

--
[image: Nutx & Xoltx] <http://nutxandxoltx.org>
<http://nutxandxoltx.org/>