[Noisebridge-discuss] Learn CAD at Noisebridge. Feb 2/10 first NoiseCAD meetup

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Mon Jan 30 07:21:15 UTC 2017

On 29 January 2017 at 22:54, Cadence Mo <mahomagh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello bridgers:
>
> I believe it is time to start a weekly CAD class/meetup at noisebridge
> where one can learn how to use open software CAD programs and design for
> the laser cutter, 3d printer, and the othermill, ..

Awesome!

> I will need some help and suggestions to keep the class running,
> interesting and fun.
>
> Help: Volunteers/guests to tech
> Suggestions: what open source CAD programs to teach and for what
> applications.

OpenSCAD is great for 3D printing stuff and has a very shallow learning
curve for programmers. However, more complicated models quickly get, uhm,
harder to manage. Probably harder for non-programmers.

Then there are the other kind of software such as freecad or solvespace
that more 'construct' a piece and allow to add constraints. I think these
kinds would be awesome to learn. I started with solvespace yesterday and it
seems pretty powerful.
Then there is Blender, it might be more interesting for organic structures
(as this was made for film animation).

If there is a focus, I'd personally suggest to have some introduction to
the constraint-based systems (solvespace, freecad), as they seem to provide
the most technical advantages long term, and it is probably more
interesting to a diverse set of people.

> Please join us.
>

> Mohammed.

Thanks for organizing, Mo!