[Noisebridge-discuss] elevator broken still

Zach R organicunity at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 10 22:07:30 UTC 2017

Thank you all for the updates regarding the elevator.  I'm excited to be able to present tonight and access the space for this first time in almost 2 months.

That said, please /please/ stop making comments about the age of the elevator, how "custom" it is, and whatever else that might refer to the "difficulty" the landlord faces in fixing it.

When people comment about the age and custom style of the elevator, how "hard" it is to fix, etc. it implies that those of us with disabilities do not have the same rights as other people, including the right to access community spaces.  This really is very hurtful to read.  It makes us feel unwelcome in the community and unwanted, especially  if it happens to be troublesome to make us accommodations (which in this case isn't even a special accommodation).

Legally, the landlord probably doesn't /have/ to do anything about it.  As usual, being a disabled person in SF means I can travel pretty much nowhere.  This isn't any one person's fault.  But it sucks waiting months to access one of the very few wheelchair accessible community spaces in SF (and let's face it, one of the most awesome places in the world).

I very much appreciate Trent and Jarrod's work around this issue and for taking the time to update the list with the repair progress.  Maybe I'm just too sensitive about access right now since I am confined to a wheelchair.  it's hard to be objective about something like that when you are living it every day.  It would be nice to actually have advocates for people with disabilities though.  I received a few individual comments of support that were greatly appreciated.  It would be nice to have more people on the side of access + support.

Sincerely,

-Zach

P.S. sorry to bring this up during the 10-year celebration.  I felt like this is something that really needed to be said though.  I will be there tonight if anyone wants to have a polite discussion about this issue.