[Noisebridge-discuss] ADA Access for the future Noisebridge

Zach R organicunity at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 27 23:09:29 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,
     It was recently brought to my attention that the search for a new Noisebridge home has included many (perhaps solely) inaccessible places.  Meaning, the future Noisebridge would not allow me, or anyone else in a wheelchair, walker, etc. to enter.  This would eliminate me from being part of the community entirely.

Now, I know the search for a new place is very rough, rents are exorbitant, and I would not want to stand in the way of Noisebridge continuing to exist.  But I think there needs to be a huge shift in the effort being put towards finding accessible spaces.  I have some ideas listed below.  But first, I want to pose a question to the community because I get different answers / opinions from different people:

Is equal access for all a fundamental part of Noisebridge's mission?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I think it is a good one to talk about among the community.

Now, as far as an actual sincere effort to searching for an accessible space.  Here are some suggestions:

  *   *Include disabled people in this conversation and ask them about their needs* -this is very important.  Please don't assume what people's needs are.  Please include some disabled people in the closed-circle Noisebridge building search.

  *   Call and ask the landlord exactly what accessibility looks like.  How many steps are there?  What is the size of the door, gate, etc?  How narrow / wide are hallways and entry areas?  Is there a large single-occupancy bathroom?  What is the slope of the entry way?  Is there a working elevator?  Relay this information to disabled members for feedback and input /before/ going to a space, taking pictures, and getting really attached to it.

  *   Reach out to organizations and do an internet search for accessibility options, and laws around construction and such.  You, yes, /you/ can actually step up to do some of this research.  Call:
            Senior Disability Action (https://sdaction.org/  (415) 546-1333)
            ILRC (https://www.ilrcsf.org/ (415) 543-6222)
            or similar places to ask for advice.

I want to be clear that I don't expect to be a part of Noisebridge come August.  I know finding an accessible space is going to be really, really hard.  I do ask that people really try though.  That includes educating ourselves around access and including disabled people in the search and in the conversation.

I plan on attending the meeting tonight (which hopefully happens) in case anyone wants to discuss this stuff with me.  I do ask however, that you do not vent your frustrations on me.  I do not want to be the scapegoat for San Francisco's problems with ADA access and high rents.  As the most active wheelchair-using member of Noisebridge I have had to work overtime educating people about access, ableism, and advocating for myself.  It's exhausting.  I am just trying to be a part of the community and I hope everyone can understand and respect that.

Thanks for reading this and taking the time to care about these issues.  I look forward to our conversation and growth as a community together.

-Zach