[Noisebridge-discuss] Newsbridge May 25 2018

Matt Arcidy marcidy at gmail.com
Sat May 26 03:30:06 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone, passing along some news for anyone who hasn't seen it.

==News==

* Therapy for Job-hunters
Bernice started a white-boarding / interview prep meet-up on
Wednesdays from 3p to 7p, and it's a huge success!  I've personally
attended it and found it very helpful.  People pair-off and take turns
interviewing each other.  James helped set up the group last week, as
it was their first meeting that was (almost) self-directed.  Carl
joined, had a great time, and I personally heard him doling out some
great advice.  The attendance keeps growing.  There were 4 people the
first meeting, and last week there were nearly 20.  The meetup will
expand to Saturdays as well.  This model of self-directed meet-ups has
worked in the past, and studying this one to see why it was a success
will help create more.  This is great for everyone in the community,
great job Bernice!

* Food!
John has been introducing more and more food to the space which is
being met with resounding acclaim.  It is contributing to a culture of
abundance rather than scarcity and has yielded some unexpected and
positive results.  The program is new and needs support to find the
best sustainable course, so please donate extra when you can.  Your
extra donation goes to Noise-bridge of course, but also provides food
safety to those in need.

* NGALAC
Ok, I put this down here because i didn't want to brag, but now I'm
going to.  The Noise-bridge Gaming Archivists group put together a
beautiful retro gaming arcade cabinet with built in streaming
capabilities, NGALAC.  This won an Editor's Choice award at Maker
Faire, and, as of today, is featured on Adam Savage's web series
"Tested"!  We hope to use the reach provided by this boost to gather
more interest and participation at Noise-bridge.  And also have
serious Street Fighter tournaments.   Stream subscribers are already
experiencing a bump.  Come by and play, though we'll be fixing a few
bugs and making a few enhancements.  I had a great time working with
this team and I hope they feel the same about me.  It was done in only
3 months!   Massive shout-out to Jarrod for getting the build done, it
was a tremendous amount of work.  Too many names to list here,
especially many Last Minute Heroes who stepped in to finish critical
tasks.  This was Mark's brain-child and is a rousing success and will
be a lasting donation to Noise-bridge.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/831112-noisebridges-live-streaming-arcade-cabinet/

* Space Changes
Nicole  and James spent today creating a wall out of the biotech
shelves in order to make space for the sound hackery area.  A pile of
equipment that NB can't use is being sent to a space that can utilize
it better, as NB doesn't have enabling equipment, like a refrigerator.
The plan is to create a space where the gaming, VR, and sound
communities can work together easily.

==Volunteer Opportunities for Upcoming Projects==

* Noise-bridge Credential Management
** Tentatively weekend of June 1
** aggregate social media access into a single credential management API
** modernize the social media infrastructure, including centralizing
meet-up management

* Clean!
** Clean NB with a bunch of other people, be seen, be heard, meet
people in real life, drink a mate.
** no set date yet, stay tuned
** This is great way for new people to meet some regulars and Members,
maybe get your 30d Token.  Show up!   Help out!

* Trello Ticket system
** People notice things around the space that need fixing.  Submit a
ticket on Trello!
** Centralizing fixes in a ticket system let people find ways they can
spend their time helping NB.
** https://trello.com/b/TRoACN9P/super-attendant
** please request editing permissions from me to post!  In the short
run, will keep it on an approval basis.  Anyone can look at the board,
pick a task, and Do-ocratically finish it.

==Meet-ups==

* https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/
* https://www.facebook.com/pg/noisebridge/events/
* https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Events