[Noisebridge-discuss] Structure & Membership

Trent Robbins robbintt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:25:00 UTC 2018

I forgot to add the second part of this passage on that ties everything
together. To have the whole context you will need to read the whole
document anyways, but I will add it here to reduce confusion:

> Although this dissection of the process of elite formation within small
groups has been critical in perspective, it is not made in the belief that
these informal structures are inevitably bad -- merely inevitable. All
groups create informal structures as a result of interaction patterns among
the members of the group. Such informal structures can do very useful
things But only Unstructured groups are totally governed by them. When
informal elites are combined with a myth of "structurelessness," there can
be no attempt to put limits on the use of power. It becomes capricious.

> This has two potentially negative consequences of which we should be
aware. The first is that the informal structure of decision-making will be
much like a sorority -- one in which people listen to others because they
like them and not because they say significant things. As long as the
movement does not do significant things this does not much matter. But if
its development is not to be arrested at this preliminary stage, it will
have to alter this trend. The second is that informal structures have no
obligation to be responsible to the group at large. Their power was not
given to them; it cannot be taken away. Their influence is not based on
what they do for the group; therefore they cannot be directly influenced by
the group. This does not necessarily make informal structures
irresponsible. Those who are concerned with maintaining their influence
will usually try to be responsible. The group simply cannot compel such
responsibility; it is dependent on the interests of the elite.

Thanks,
Trent