[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser cutter fully operational!!!

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Jan 21 23:37:54 UTC 2019

Ha!  I went to edit the manual to make sure it says:

"When you focus the laser, ALWAYS make sure the metal adaptor for the
air hose is facing straight towards you"

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Laser_Manual#Focusing_the_laser

But I have no permission to edit it.

I guess I am not of sufficient status.

togo

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 3:26 PM Ruth Grace Wong <ruthgracewong at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> Thanks for bearing with us through our laser cutter repair saga:
>
> - Ordered replacement laser head and air hose adaptor
> - Realized lens was broken and ordered replacement lens
> - Lens package was received at Noisebridge but we couldn't figure out by who, and we still haven't been able to find this package
> - New lens is ordered to someone's home address
> - New lens arrives, is installed
> - Despite general maintenance and several re-alignment attempts, laser is found to be weak
> - After discussion with the machine manufacturers, we figured out the lens was installed up-side-down (it curves upwards instead of down like you would think!), and laser is finally back to normal!!
>
> Lessons learned: When you focus the laser, ALWAYS make sure the metal adaptor for the air hose is facing straight towards you. This is the second time we've knocked it off and damaged the laser cutter due to the adaptor facing the side.
>
> Huge huge gratitude to everyone who worked on this, including but not limited to: Dany, David, Lady Red, Matt, R, me, Theo, Trent
>
> I will be hosting laser cutter safety training once a month, and another laser trainer may be able to do the same, so hopefully we'll be back to our biweekly training schedule soon. The next safety training is on Sunday Feb 3: https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/258280209/
>
> Happy lasering & stay safe!
> Ruth

Best Regards.
This is unedited.