[Noisebridge-discuss] NoiseBridge on Slack + CryptoParty on Zoom?

Steve Phillips steve at tryingtobeawesome.com
Sun Apr 5 05:10:03 UTC 2020

The ideal solution is to make Jitsi Meet great!  Until then:

Here's Mozilla's advice on how to make your Zoom gatherings more private:
https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/blog/tips-make-your-zoom-gatherings-more-private/

Privacy issues with Zoom, some have which have just been fixed (see below):
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/what-you-should-know-about-online-tools-during-covid-19-crisis

Tracking the name of the currently-active window on your desktop was a
significant one, and Zoom just removed it due to the outcry:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115000538083-Attendee-attention-tracking

Another just-removed privacy-unfriendly feature: Zoom's "Login with
Facebook" feature used FB's SDK, which was recording info about a user's
device and sending it to FB --
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/28/21197967/zoom-ios-app-code-tracking-facebook

Zoom is responding to the pressure, which is great!  A huge privacy-related
outcry was unthinkable even 3 years ago, but now they're common -- and have
impact.  Let's keep the pressure up!

> I wish that those NoiseBridge folks that care less for Privacy would
rethink their position, because, IMHO, NoiseBridge is giving a bad example.

We've urged people to move over, but institutional momentum is a tricky
thing 😕; hard to get many people to change their behavior all at once,
which is why Facebook still have over 2 billion users even though almost
everyone distrusts it.

--Steve

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 6:13 PM Steve Phillips <steve at tryingtobeawesome.com>