[Noisebridge-discuss] [Projects during Corona] Call-to-help to use the National Weather Radio frequencies to calibrate SDR-dongles

Andreas Hornig andreas.hornig at aerospaceresearch.net
Tue Dec 29 22:55:54 UTC 2020

Hi noisebridge people,

this is a small call to help that addresses people interested in Software
Defined Radio (SDR).

during the corona lockdown in Germany and the holiday season, I had enough
time to code a small Python tool for calibrating the known RTLSDR
dongles, CalibrateSDR [0, MIT license]. For that I use the DAB+ digital
radio system[1], but that is only available in parts of the EU and some
other selected places, like in the places I live.
DAB+ is not available in the US but I have been told that the National
Weather Radio NWR[2, 3] could be an interesting candidate to do the same
frequency calibration and make my programme useful for you also.

I would like to try to add this feature to CalibrateSDR, but for that I
need some recordings of the signal.
so my call to help goes out to all of you with an RTLSDR, some free time
[30 minutes] to tune to the frequency band in your area[2], check with a
programme (gqrx SDR#) you like if there is an active signal, and then
record it for me (in IQ baseband, a minute or so, 2Msamples samplerate, as
8bit wav-file or dat-binary-file).

that help would be really appreciated, because I cannot do that myself for
obvious reasons.
if you want to help, please feel free to answer in this thread, or contact
me directly.

best regards, stay safe and make cool things!

Andreas

[0] https://github.com/aerospaceresearch/CalibrateSDR
[1] https://aerospaceresearch.net/?page_id=2111
[2] https://www.weather.gov/nwr/station_listing