[Noisebridge-discuss] Using the National Weather Radio to calibrate SDR-dongles?

Andreas Hornig andreas.hornig at aerospaceresearch.net
Wed Dec 30 09:40:10 UTC 2020

Hi Adrian,

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 1:20 AM Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi!
>
> Sure, let me get a sample of them in the bay area on my RTL-SDR for you.

that would be great to get. :)

what would be great to get are these settings and some meta data:

tuned frequency: please tune on 162.300 Mhz because I would like to avoid
fft artefacts on the nrw frequencies. It can also be in between the
channels with some gap to the next nrw frequency. just state the tuned
frequency for me when you send it. for the scanner and the ppm
determination this reference is needed then.

sample rate: 2048000 Hz, I would like to get the full resolution of the
band. I would like to see all 7 channels so I can implement my scanner.
[default in rtl_sdr]

stream format:  8bit IQ baseband file, 8bit each (for I and Q) [default in
rtl_sdr]

file format: preferred an SDRsharp WAV. because I can quickly load it to my
SDRsharp and check it. But also a normal binary stream recorded from rtlsdr
would be cool.

record length: some 10 seconds. Just enough to see a few passages of voice
and silence on one of the frequencies, hopefully on several. Filesize for
me is not an issue. Lossless zipping is quite good with these files.

these things would be cool.
if you want me to know more things, just feel free to add it, but I think
these listed ones are fine.

> Bug me in 2021 if you don't hear from me by the end of the week :)

okay, will do that :).
About how to transfer the file we can discuss then :).

best regards,

Andreas
(dh0rn)