[nd] Android

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Sat Aug 15 18:33:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Stefano Maffull wrote:

> Absolutely. Funambol has a project running for a syncml client, in order
> to sync PIM data (calendar and contacts) but also, in the future,
> multimedia files (pics, music, video, etc).  The server component for
> this to happen is being developed for version 8.1 (expected at end of
> 2009, early 2010). The Android client is at, approaching version 0.3
> with calendar support and much better performance:

Neat - hadn't been following server development.

What I would *love* is a turnkey setup, preferably a Debian package, that
created a SyncML server for the Android Client and told you exactly what
settings to put in the Android Client on the phone.

Perhaps said turnkey setup could create a web document that, when opened
on the phone, prompts the user for confirmation then automatically
configures the phone.

This fixes one major obstacle with personal, family, and small-business
use of SyncML - configuration. It's easier to use Google's synchronization
mostly because they do all the setup before the phone comes out of the
box. But an automatic configuration system would drastically improve
things.

> https://android-client.forge.funambol.org/
>
> At Funambol I manage a program designed to get experimental software
> that uses the Funambol SDK. It's called Code Sniper and it offer grants
> up to $2,500 in exchange of working code. Anybody can make a proposal.
> One idea I have is to develop an extension for the addressbook
> application that integrates 'social' aspects. For example, it would be
> cool if the addressbook would know about FOAF and keep that info always
> up to date with the phone. I'm sure that there there are more cool ideas
> we can think of. Do you think this is compatible with noisedroid work?

That's exciting! Pehraps the above turnkey setup would be a valid
project?

-- Asheesh.

--
<knghtbrd> rcw: Oh yay---I haven't been involved in a good flamewar in at
            least ... 5 minutes!