[nd] Android

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Sun Aug 16 20:50:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Stefano Maffull wrote:

> If you have to support only one type of client (android) all you need is
> to send automatically to the phone the IP address of the syncml server,
> username and password. That shouldn't be difficult to do, maybe using
> also the Device Management server (another piece of the Funambol
> framework). The DS server could take some work to package for
> Debian/Ubuntu because right now the server is distributed bundled with
> its own Tomcat and JRE. Nonetheless, there are some people that run the
> Funambol DS server in other environments (http://bit.ly/CjhiJ, for
> example).

That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

>> That's exciting! Pehraps the above turnkey setup would be a valid
>> project?
>
> Packaging the server to run on a vanilla Ubuntu/Debian would be a
> starting point.  The automatic setup of android clients can be added,
> too, but you'd probably need to develop something (a DM client?) for
> Android in order to configure it remotely (unless there is already
> something --not sure).  Have you already played around with the Funambol
> DS server?

I haven't yet, I'm afraid.

The next week or two is going to be super busy, but I'll come back to
this.

I hope that Noisedroid makes a Google Apps-optional fully-functional phone
image!

-- Asheesh.

--
God grant me the senility to accept the things I cannot change,
The frustration to try to change things I cannot affect,