[Powerstation-discuss] Mobilebridge - Hackerspace on a Bike

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Dec 5 20:03:48 UTC 2011

So a bunch of folks are a bit pensive about developing
tech/hardware/things to hand down to the Occupy camp to figure out and
take cafe of. It isn't so much that things disappear as in fuck people
who steal things, but more of it sucks when things just disappear in
general for whatever reason. Also it's more crap for the Occupy camps to
deal with in general, more physical items. Additionally building out the
Noisetents kind of went down hill quick and we got occupy by people
rightfully needing a place to crash.

So why don't we build out a mobile hacker space?

A bike with a trailer, or bike cart (bikefaust), containing these...

* 12V battery or two
* Internet through WiMax
* Public wifi
* Skinny fold out table with 3 or 4 tiny camping stools
* USB chargers for phones
* Corey's internet terminals and server
* Web cam
* Decent mic for recording nightly podcasts
* Or a decent camera for video interviews of people at the camp
* Mast for wifi and web cam
* Noisebridge flag

This mobile hacker space can also serve as a general work area for
classes, and mother ship for other projects like the *copters, balloons,
etc.

Two of the biggest problems with providing tech for the camp are simply
lack of dependable power, and organizational confusion. As much as I
know that taking occupying camp for limited amounts of time is kind of a
suck-tastic thing, we can provide more reliable help for a longer
period. And creating a schedule of when folks talk out the bike will
give those not participating as much more of an avenue to help out.

I have a feeling I'll be able to find a bikefaust in some shape pretty
easily. We also have a number of folks living near by that could maybe
provide a garage for us to charge up the batteries the house the bike
when it's not out. I'm also down with spending 1 - 2 nights a week with
the bike out.

Thoughts?

--
Rubin