[Powerstation-discuss] Hackupy

Akiba chris at freaklabs.org
Sat Nov 19 02:49:24 UTC 2011

Hi all.

Thanks to those attending Hackupy at Tokyo Hackerspace. Here's a summary for
those that missed it.

-          Nick Farr came down from Kyoto to attend and talk about his
experiences at Zucotti Park at the beginning days of the occupy protests

-          Three members from Noisebridge came down to talk about what
Noisebridge is doing for OccupySF and one member from NYC Resistor talking
about NY sanitation

-          There is a mailing list to discuss technology for the Occupy
movement at: powerstation-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net

-          Topics

*         Using Ushahidi as a central map-based website to locate activity
around the protest areas so that newcomers can just check the site to see
where to go

*         Phone based emails, texts, twitter can be posted to it

*         This actually went live as we were talking about it by a separate
group: http://maps.occupy.net <http://maps.occupy.net/>

*         Centralized repository for information

*         Similar to the earthquake wiki we had set up

*         Currently at the hackerspaces wiki:
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Useful_links_for#occupy_protesters

*         Please add useful links to it

*         Car battery based phone charger

*         Taylan's design he came up with for the tsunami victims is
extremely useful in this situation:
http://taylanayken.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/12v-phone-charger-v2-0

*         We gave four complete kits to the Noisebridge guys to bring back
to SF

*         ACTION: Taylan is to post the eagle files (currently only png).
Also, can you put up a copy of the project page on the THS project site?

*         Portable PA system

*         People at Zucotti park have to use a human mic to relay messages

*         Nick came up with idea of using FM transmitters to transmit voice
around the whole area

*         This can be extended to a portable, battery operated PA system
using a 0.5 to 1W FM transmitter and multiple FM receivers + headphone amps
+ small built-in speakers (ie: Altoids tins with speakers)

*         Akiba (that's me folks) is currently looking into developing this

*         Flash mob tools

*         #ows protests may utilize flash mob style for next phases

*         Any ideas on how to organize something like this

*         Tokyo Hackerspace Crisis Management Group

*         MRE, Nick, and I were discussing that ows, the japan earthquake,
Egypt, etc have multiple things in common:

*         Need for information, communication, power - basic infrastructure
things we normally take for granted

*         In Tokyo Hackerspace, I'm starting up a crisis management group to
start developing hardware with these assumptions

*         I am volunteering MRE to the group. He has no choice.

*         The main purpose I want to do this is:

*         Things like car battery phone chargers, portable PA systems,
pirate FM transmitters, etc are extremely useful in crisis/disaster
scenarios

*         There is no market for it so we can't rely on commercial entities
to make these

*         As we've seen, by the time we need it, if it's not ready to go,
it's too late

*         With these in mind, we should start building a crisis toolkit now
in the anticipation that more disaster/crisis scenarios will occur in the
future

Useful information

*         Most of occupy is currently being organized via facebook and
twitter

*         People are finding their info via twitter

*         This implies that information organization is currently a problem

*         Also implies that information history is difficult

*         Any suggestions on taking massive amounts of twitter data and
organizing it would be useful

Akiba

FreakLabs Open Source Wireless

Web: http://www.freaklabs.org