[Rack] webserver access

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Dec 30 04:32:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Patrick Keys <citizenkeys at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 7:09 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
>> Hi there. As a member of Noisebridge I would appreciate it if you did not setup a Diaspora server, or anything else to use inplace of the mailing list for communication for the space. Please stop before I rm -Rf /* pony. Thanks.
>>

> Where's your spirit of "do-ocracy"?
> Doesn't something belong to noisebridge once its donated to noisebridge?
> If that's the case, pony should be fair game for whatever anybody wants
> to hack on it.

Personally, I kinda agree with Patrick here (sorry Rubin and Jake).

Patrick, Benny -- if you want to setup a Disapora instance at
Noisebridge, I think that's totally your prerogative and I'd like to
help you with anything you need (VLANs on the switches, system
configuration, etc).

That being said, Pony is a terrible place to host anything
Internet-facing. While it does have a static address and a ton of
local storage, the connectivity it has to the Internet is shared with
everyone else in the space and is what users use to get online (and
it's VERY marginal bandwidth, at that). It's original design goal was
to host things for users within the space.
If this becomes a popular service for use outside of Noisebridge,
it'll probably hose anyone's ability to get online at any decent
speeds.

Please consider setting up an external service (there are some free
options out there -- check out the AWS free tier, or Chunkhost which
is having a free beta).
If you can setup some Chef recipes or scripts to setup the service on
a given distribution, and take some regular backups -- migrating from
one host to another should become closer to trivial.

My suggestion: let's work on setting up a VM (on your laptop, or even
pony) that has the configuration that you're looking for an then, once
it's in a place you guys like -- move it to a real hosting provider.

My two cents -- let me know how I can help Noisebridge be an
infrastructure provider for making awesome happen.

Cheers,
jof