[Rack] webserver access

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Dec 30 10:57:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 05:48:28PM -0800, Patrick Keys wrote:
> (benny and Patrick both wrote this posting)

Hi Patrick,

Hope this public mail doesn't violate your request that I not send you
private email.  If it does, please just let me know and I'll stop.

> where would we run the vm?

I'd be happy to donate $20 towards an AWS account for a Noisebridge
Diaspora server.  As I said before, it could even be free for the first
year if someone sets up a new AWS account.

> why decentralize noisebridge infrastructure

Decentralization reduces the amount of power in single individuals'
hands.  (I'd really like it if people would set up other systems than
the VM that Jake and I run.)
Decentralization reduces the likelihood of catastrophic failure.
Centralized systems are easier to pwn.
Centralized systems are harder to add new features to.

> when the rack is mostly idling all the time.

We don't have very much bandwidth at 2169 and getting more is expensive.
We don't have ventilation for heat removal, nor do we have air filtering
to keep server fans happy.
We don't have any physical security nor do we want it, I think.

(I was going to say that our power is expensive, but according to the
PG&E bills at https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Electricity it's actually
quite cheap, under $0.15 per kWh.  I wonder if that's changed since our
usage has gone up during 2010.)

I don't know if infrastructure is a good fit, but another possibility
is https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisecloud ...

Thanks,
-andy