[Rack] noisebridge.net offline?

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Sat Nov 6 18:31:23 UTC 2010

  On 11/06/2010 11:07 AM, Dr. Jesus wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Leif Ryge<leif at synthesize.us>  wrote:

>>> You interrupted a birthday party I was at.
>> Seriously? What was the extent/effect of this interruption? Unless the
>> birthday party you were at was relying upon noisebridge.net web or mail
>> services in some way, I'm really not clear as to why downtime on this system
>> should have any effect on your evening.
> The status monitor pages me if it detects an unusually serious outage.
If you desire to be woken up by alerts about hosts you don't
administrate, that is your prerogative, but given that there is no
corrective action you could take (aside from calling or emailing the
responsible parties, which you did not actually do until well after it
was back up) I don't feel bad in the slightest for scheduled maintenance
causing your alerts to interrupt a birthday party you were at.

>>> Why didn't you mention any of this on the discuss mailing list?
>> Every time someone doesn't email discuss, hundreds of people are able to
>> avoid wasting the time required to read yet another message - precious
>> moments of life which can be far better spent.
> I can see that point of view.  Considering the current topic, does
> that mean you believe it's a waste of time to notify other Noisebridge
> members of a pending outage of the VMs at Cernio?
No, as I said, I'll try to remember to notify rack@ next time. If I
forget, it's not a big deal imho.

~leif