[Rack] static IP request

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Nov 24 01:59:24 UTC 2010

> What are you trying to accomplish exactly? Is the static address to
> facilitate connecting to it to control it from another remote computer
> (local to the space or otherwise).
> What protocol will it speak?

the goal is for the computer brain of the robot to be something that can
be connected to directly from the outside world.  People will be able to
drive the robot around from anywhere, and have various types of data
streams going back and forth.  For example the motor control has to be
bidirectional because the brain has to confirm that the user is still
connected AND has not ceased to want movement, otherwise the motos must be
stopped.  For starters we are doing everything over an ssh session, from
the keyboard, but many more things will be implemented including, i
suspect, a web interface.

BenBE helped today by coming up with the following commands:
ifconfig wlan2 add 172.30.0.50 netmask 255.255.252.0 broadcast 172.30.3.255
route add default gw 172.30.0.3

these result in a static IP of 0.50 and seem to work.  He set it up with a
google DNS server and so i guess we are no longer using DHCP.

What i would like next would be a way to ssh into the box (port 22) from
the outside world.  This can be port-forwarding from an available port on
a server already setup somewhere, but for minimal latency I look forward
to earning the use of a dedicated static IP.

at the moment the box is powered up and on, and i will likely leave it
running headless when i go home, but atm there is no way into it from the
outside world and i would like to change that.

by the way if you want to log in and check it out, it's mchawking emc.
just like it says on the wiki page.

-jake